Self Assessment Essay

As I have grown, I have realized the importance of English skills, specifically in writing letters and essays. Throughout my life, I have always been required to take English or writing courses, and as a result, I have had to learn how to improve my abilities over time. When I began college, I was initially frustrated when my advisor informed me that I would need to take two English classes. The thought of developing topics, obtaining points, checking grammar, and adhering to specific writing styles like APA and MLA caused me to feel immense stress. The added research requirement only compounded my anxiety, as it felt like a completely different type of English class than I used to. Despite my initial reservations, I have significantly improved my writing skills. My studies taught me how to express myself more effectively, write extended essays, and expand my vocabulary. I have also corrected my grammar errors and learned how to transition my writing from a British to an American style. The multiple drafts and feedback I have received throughout the writing process have allowed me to communicate my opinions more confidently and clearly. Additionally, I have refined my writing habits by evaluating and combining materials, and now I have a more precise understanding of the importance of proper citation. As a result of my growth, I have become better at understanding and connecting with my target audience. I can now relate my personal experiences to my writing, creating a more engaging and relatable piece. Writing about my culture, in particular, was a fulfilling experience for me. I could inform others about something important to me but widely known, and I received high praise from my professor for my practical word choice, punctuation, and vocabulary. I have learned that English skills are essential for the personal and professional world. I have met the course learning objectives that have helped me improve and develop my writing skills. Specifically, I am proud of my ability to accurately measure my reading, drafting, revising, editing, and self-evaluation skills. Additionally, I have developed my collaborative and social writing skills through peer review, group projects, and discussions. Regarding research, I have improved my ability to read and analyze information effectively while using online databases and library resources to find appropriate information for writing assignments. I have also learned how to judge the accuracy and reliability of sources, avoid plagiarism, and give credit to the original writers. As a writer, I have applied appropriate citations and references when using other people’s words and have become proficient in summarizing, creating, evaluating, adjusting, paraphrasing, and quoting. One of the highlights of this course for me was the opportunity to engage in field research methods such as observation, field note-taking, and interviewing. I utilized these strategies when conducting interviews for my field study, which required me to question, listen attentively, observe, correctly record, and understand the information collected. I kept my two friends during their day-to-day activities and took detailed notes. This process allowed me to gather valuable information and data for my field study. Despite receiving feedback from my professor, I still help to fix some of the minor mistakes in my writing. I realize now that I could have taken more time to redo two of my essays, I’m reflecting on the work I have submitted and see areas where I could have performed better. I often found myself rushing to submit assignments, resulting in minimal effort. Despite being used to writing in British English, I received feedback on my peer interview essay, indicating several grammatical and punctuation errors. My professor suggested that I visit the writing center for assistance with my spelling and punctuation, as my content was sound. However, I was satisfied with my grade and overlooked her advice. Looking back, I could have improved my quality had I taken the time to make the necessary adjustments. This class has been a valuable learning experience, especially regarding my approach to understanding and writing better in English. It has taught me that everyone has their unique writing style, and there is always room for improvement.  I should have been more active in seeking assistance and prioritizing my assignments, which would have positively impacted my overall performance. Overall my portfolio would have the work that I love the most.