Draft Interview / Essay

Interview Question On Religion
    1. What’s Your name? 
    1. What’s your Religion?
    1. What is the Meaning behind your name?
    1. Can you tell me about your Beliefs and how you practice them?
    1. Do you practice religion because it is what you were born into? Could you explain your answer to me?
    1. Being born into your religion has affected your mindset And how it shapes your everyday life.
    1.  Would you practice a different religion other than what you practice? And could you state your reason? 
    1. What do you appreciate most about your religion?
Draft Peer Review Interview Interviewing Fatoumata Jaguraga

During my interview with Fatoumata, I asked for her name and its meaning. She shared that her name is Fatoumata, or Fati for short, which she received from her grandmother on her dad’s side. She also mentioned that her name in Islam, Fatima, is the daughter of the prophet Muhammed (S.A.W). When I inquired about her upbringing, Fatoumata shared that she grew up in the United States but left for The Gambia, her parent’s home country, to further her education in high school. She described her high school experience as challenging, but she managed to maintain satisfactory grades.

I then asked her why she chose City College. Fatoumata explained that the school’s psychology program was one of the best in all CUNYs, and City College was convenient for her. As a psychology major, everything CCNY had to offer was necessary to her. When I inquired about her career plans, she shared that she wants to eventually open a clinic for mental health within her Islamic/African community because she feels it lacks understanding and is essential. She hopes to achieve this goal within five to ten years and would be proud to help hundreds of girls like herself. Fatoumata sees herself with a future family, including a husband and kids.

When I asked Fatoumata to share something unique about herself, she mentioned that she was about to celebrate her second anniversary with her husband in four months, which was exciting for her. She also shared that she loves to read and write, with one of her favorite books being “Sula” and “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.” In addition, she enjoys writing personal pieces like poems to control her creativity without the rules and regulations of structured writing.

I asked Fatoumata what she would do if she won the lottery tomorrow, and she shared that she would start a clinic for Muslim girls in Africa and enroll in CCNY to complete her degree.

When I asked Fatoumata if her high school experience helped shape who she is today, she shared that being sent back to Gambia put her to the test because she attended high school in a completely different nation. Despite the difficulties, she would not change her experience because it showed her that ease does indeed come with struggle. She views mental health as equally important to physical fitness because they are interconnected; you can overcome any obstacle if you are mentally.

As I wrapped up the interview, I asked Fatoumata some final questions. I asked her who her biggest supporter was, what motivates her, and if she could change anything about CCNY, what it would be. Fatoumata shared that her biggest supporter is herself. She acknowledged that this might sound strange, but she made decisions for herself from a young age and has continued to make better judgments ever since. In addition, her religion inspires her and demonstrates that putting Allah first provides peace of mind and pushes her to work hard daily. Finally, if she could change anything about CCNY, she would have more African American professors because she feels they are underrepresented in the faculty.

Lastly, I asked Fatoumata if there were anything she would tell her younger self. She said she would tell her younger self to have self-confidence and love herself because the world needs to hear what she says. 

In conclusion, I enjoyed interviewing Fatoumata, a driven and ambitious psychology major at CCNY with a passion for mental health. She shared with me her unique name, upbringing, and career goals. She aspires to open a clinic for mental health within her community and hopes to achieve this goal within the next few years. Fatoumata’s most prominent supporter is herself, and she draws inspiration from her religion, encouraging her to work hard every day. She believes that mental health is equally important to physical health and that overcoming obstacles in life requires mental strength. If she could change anything about CCNY, she would ensure that more African American professors are on the faculty. In addition, she would tell her younger self to have confidence and love herself because her voice and perspective are valuable and needed. Fatoumata is a driven and compassionate individual who will positively impact her community and beyond.